Current time: 05-19-2024, 01:21 PM
Something Strange is About in the AC Universe
Discoveries, theories, and evidence abound! What could White_Rain be thinking?
(01-29-2014, 11:25 AM)R.Leonhardt Wrote: Yes I'm sure. There was a link to a vid where From answered questions in a panel when AC3 was released. It actually makes sense to me that they put that in the box art because From likes to keep their fans guessing what had happened next. Marketing strategy i guess. keeps you interested on the game til the next one comes out. Or maybe they intended to make a sequel but changed their mind at the time AC3 was under development.

Besides, AC2AA ended with little impact on the main story. It was more like letting the players experience the life of a mercenary. Unlike the other games where the story tells about an 'extraordinary Raven that changed the world with his incredible skills'.

Ah, OK, I see now. There could be a number of reasons as to why the box art is as it is if, in fact, From intended 3 to be a complete reboot. Maybe From will give some insight on that if there's some way we can ask them.

As for "marketing strategy", well...
The series has never been that big on marketing. That explains very well why Armored Core isn't popular anywhere but Japan, the lack of marketing. Nevertheless, despite the small fanbase, there's still a fanbase, so to throw a guessing game as a marketing strategy somewhat makes sense. However, for them to state what ACTUALLY happened as a guessing game ruins the purpose of this marketing strategy, and I'm certain From isn't dumb enough to do that. The theory of it being unchanged from development makes a LOT more sense than the marketing strategy theory, and even then it has some faults there.

Usually, if I'm not mistaken, the last thing that the company works on in a game is the case art. When the game's all finished, just type up a synopsis, slap a few screenshots from all the testing or some demo screenshots that don't reveal the exact info yet show the basic idea of what the game will be like, boom, there you have it, case art! And we're beyond the NES/Genesis days where some screenshots don't even match the final product, but what the focus was on at the beginning was the text, and I'm almost totally certain From would have saved the cover art for last like any other company most likely would. Even if they worked on the box art first, like I said before, the PS1/PS2 era games had nothing but gameplay and story driving them, and since the games focused on story more than the PS3/X360-era games, chances are they would have proofread the box art and revised it if necessary.

AC2:AA's ending being of little impact or importance doesn't really change much of anything, either, as the Earth Government and Corporations battled for supremacy from AC1 all the way to 2:AA. AA's only addition story-wise was the Indies. And yes, I knew that AA wasn't another tale of an extraordinary Raven. I's been doin dat research, you knows. (Had to throw SOME humor in here, this thread seems a little too dry and serious, not enough humor going around.)

Nevertheless, it still bugs me. Maybe AC3 was an official reboot, maybe not, but with From apparently stating it was a reboot yet all signs aside from that point to sequel...

Just what the heck could be going on? Maybe the Controller's rule wants us to forget the early games ever happened?

O.O
United States' National Security Agency
or as I like to call it
National Spying Agency
or NSA for short
is
the
CONTROLLER.
Or at least part, and the United States will soon be the Controller.
And then it will duplicate itself upon destruction and become IBIS. The US borders will become the Silent Line(s). CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU- lolno.

But really.

What the heck is going on? This continuity issue is a headache.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something Strange is About in the AC Universe - by White_Rain - 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AC Timeline and universe question KiaYuki 9 15,317 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Sirius140