Current time: 03-29-2024, 10:02 PM
Armored Core 2
As some of you may know, I played AC1, skipped AC2, and then went on to AC3 and beyond.

But now, I've been playing AC2. Got 100% in two sittings hahahah. It actually plays a lot more comfortably than I originally thought it would although it really makes me appreciate the much wider part-selection we have in LR. Several parts are just plain unattractive while others are downright too good (Karasawa Mk.II -_-).

It was also interesting to see how the identity of the leg types became much more defined in the games that came after AC2. I was surprised when I saw that in AC2, RJs and Tanks had some of the highest turning rates in the game. >_< The difference between RJs and Bipeds here wasn't so great either. I haven't tried quads, tanks, and hovers yet though.

Well I'll be playing this for a few more days, I suppose. I'll be starting with Another Age later today.
NiX Wrote:It actually plays a lot more comfortably than I originally thought it would
Because of two reasons I can think of: one, the control scheme is what you're used to, and two, because it's so damned slower compared to AA and beyond. Tongue While the sensation of speed is still there, it just feels... heavier and lunkier, doesn't it? More like playing with tanks rather than planes, as far as that analogy can fit into ACs. In my opinion this move from the arcadey speed of the first generation towards a more realistic and deliberate game is that being the first game on a then-new PS2, they wanted to bring the series to a greater audience, so they put in all the fun things like OB and high-powered energy rifles hoping they'd get both the newbies attracted by the way it looks and old veterans intrigued by the mechanic changes to pick up the game and play.

I'm not saying AC2 wasn't an important part of the series, it was, but like so many transitional titles the next version totally one-ups it in almost every department (which, from what I can infer, is AC4's general situation now).

I think AC2 is where many people really became biped-centric in their designs, since it offered a ton of advantages like easier learning curves and good overall defense without much of a tradeoff.

NiX Wrote:Well I'll be playing this for a few more days, I suppose. I'll be starting with Another Age later today.
I sure hope you'll love it as much as I do, then we can battle. AA is one of the games where I believe anyone with a decent amount of experience playing the dual analog configuration can play on the same level as guys used to playing with the old controls. For 3 and Silent Line, it's all about owning and getting owned by the amount of accurate dual gunning in the game. For me this is a great great obstacle, since my thumb has a physical inability to fire both guns at the same time effectively. Tongue In AA at least, it's still largely a right hand weapon AC world, so there's some semblance of the old school balance and play mechanics left.
Okay I'm around 25% done with AA now (about 2 hours of play after my previous post). Wow I was certainly surprised when I saw my AP drop after doing two consecutive overboosts. So this was the game where they added discharge heat.

I'm still in the process of noticing some of the stat tweaks they did from AC2 to AA. I noticed that the rifles received a bit more ammo. The Karasawa's shot velocity seems to have been toned down a bit. The generator in AC2 that had 13000 output now only has 11000. The new massive discharge heat from OBing seems to have toned down the relentless OBing that was possible in AC2. Well those are only the major impressions I've gotten so far. Yeah, it does seem a bit more balanced.

I just hate how there's no arena though. And NO the "arena/single-enemy-AC" missions don't cut it. -_- Hence, I have no way of accurately gauging how effective my designs are in a versus setting.

And Mix, I'm not sure if I can say AC2 is a slower game. It actually feels almost like LR. AC3 and SL however where REALLY fast. Sure let's definitely play AA the next time we meet up!
BITCH ASS FLYING ****ER MASSIVE MT IS GIVING ME A HARD TIME.
Haha, yeah I remember that. I had a hard time to when I first fought it. Tongue

Try using the obstacles to your advantage, and equip a fast locking FCS with decent lock range to spam dual multis when it flies over you.

Oh, and have fun with the "Limiter Release" feature Salute
is this the MT that has a mananangal complex ....? if it is just hide on the wreckage in the middle of the map tooting a sawa and long range heavy back mount guns ... just snipe at the MTs on distance wag mo na hintayin mag lock on tantsahin mo nalang un ginawa ko eh ... chicken ... pero kung gusto mo harapin talaga mobility and ammo are the two main things to be considered ... pero syempre kung me op intensify ka mas maganda XD
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

Hahahah it's still giving me a hard time. I'm an AC vs AC kind of player but it looks like I suck against massive MTs. LOL

Oh and I didn't want to get PLUS in AC2. Hahaha PLUS is the devil.

EDIT: I'm just so happy I finally defeated that giant monstrosity. It actually took a lot less hits than I thought. I didn't get it done earlier because I was trying to take down all of its parts... should have just gone for the center from the very beginning.
I envy you man. You're getting to play AC. And AA at that. *busts out sadface*

Me, on the other hand, will have to put up with studying for this week. It's only on Saturday that I will finally be free.

Back on topic, how are you liking the game's balance so far? Do you think anything (save for the Sawa, the GNL borderline) is overpowered? You think tanks are dead meat because of the mobility of bipeds and quads? Tongue
It's hard to judge the balance because I don't have anyone to play versus against (Rick laro tayo AA one of these days! Hahah). It doesn't help either that there's no arena to compete in. Plus, I haven't gotten the chance to try the other leg types because bipeds and RJs have been mostly adequate for finishing the missions. But on paper, I was really surprised to see that some tanks had higher speeds than bipeds! So yeah they probably stand a chance. Quads really surprised me too in that they could slide pretty quickly and not even need to boost-dash! Ah well I'll play around some more once I get all the parts.

As for the weapons, I really like the rifles and even the grenade rifle. The Machine guns are nice as always although they seem to be heavier than they usually are in other AC games. The energy Machine gun is particularly heavy... probably too heavy. >_< Haven't tried the Bazookas and the other energy weapons yet.

Back weapons, I've only tried the missiles. Some of the packs are really heavy. So far, only the small missiles have been appealing to me because of their spamability and light weight. The dual missile is nice too but the way that it fires the missiles parallel to the AC's shoulders is really annoying. As for the missile extensions, they really seem to lack ammo. It also pisses me off that I can't drop stuff when I've emptied them hahaha
NiX Wrote:As for the weapons, I really like the rifles and even the grenade rifle.

Back weapons, I've only tried the missiles. Some of the packs are really heavy. So far, only the small missiles have been appealing to me because of their spamability and light weight.
Hate being such a Watcher-wannabe, but what can you do, the man made it work. Night FTW.

Yeah man those packs can be quite the burden. But then after you get hit by a multi or a dual you remember how missiles pwn in this game, for the most part because of their accuracy. And the constantly decreasing AP as a reminder of OPD. Smile) So IMO, totally worth packing one.

Besides, there's no dual gunning, so...

We must battle! Soon! Or I'm gonna die of excitement lolz.
Hahah well in fairness, the decoys in this game are pretty effective. I really like how they simply disrupt the trajectory of missiles rather than "attracting" the missiles like they do in AC3 and SL. It allows you to really get a lot of mileage per decoy.

More opinions to come as I get more playtime in.

Yeah let's definitely play next time. If you have a working MOA disc, I also have a tourney-ready design for that game. Tongue
Just finished the game. Kinda disappointing how Stinger, Phantasma, and even Ultimate 9Ball were defeated by a single Karasawa Mk II. -_- The weapon is probably even more rigged than they were.

I just tried out the GL. My god 1000+ damage per shot even on ACs with medium armor. >_< Not to mention instant overheat... Oh and what? Near-instant double lock?!? All for only 1000-something weight points?!? NO WAY.

As for tanks in AA... I really don't know. Armor doesn't seem to help as much here as it does in other AC games. I'll have to see though when I actually get the chance to pit my tank against a person.
Tongue I'm surprised you didn't seem to find the 3-AC fight hard in AA.

that took me...I dunno...20-something tries?

hell, I only won by using a lot of energy weapons and Limiter Release. X_X

btw, AA was my first real AC game, coming after the AC1 demo on the PS1.
ಠ_ಠ
The 3-AC fight took me one try, using only the Karasawa and a blade (altough I only got one or two slashes in). It's rigged, I tell you. -_-

Stinger and Phantasma were really easy. Ultimate 9Ball took me around 4 tries until I slapped on the lightest RJ (the one with the KILLER turning speed!) so that he wouldn't out-turn me so badly. I killed him with around 12 Sawa shots left. >_< Talk about SKEWED.
(sorry for the double post. just wanted to bump the thread)

Just wondering: What was the in the U.S. part ban list for AC2 and AA?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armored Core: Verdict Day Lord_Leperman 364 433,134 01-21-2024, 06:46 AM
Last Post: farmboy28
  AC3: I think, i just hacked armored core 3 Serph 4 6,787 05-26-2012, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Serph
  LR: OB Core Discussion NiX 26 29,719 04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Last Post: adiyel
  LR: Core-part Preferences NiX 43 46,614 01-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Last Post: DarkFury