Current time: 06-08-2024, 12:52 AM
Poll: Partnering System
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Predetermined
0%
0 0%
Randomized
38.10%
8 38.10%
Randomized w/ Tiering System
57.14%
12 57.14%
Predetermined w/ Tiering System
4.76%
1 4.76%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

2-on-2 Partnering System
for PACT 5 and beyond
<center>[Image: pact5-2.jpg]</center>

Because more than 50% of our active population wanted it, it's finally been decided that PACT 5 will use a two-on-two format. But now, because of the untested nature of this format, it looks like another poll is needed.

Based on what's been discussed before, let me present you with three ways to determine the team-ups:

1. Predetermined team-ups - Look for a partner before the tournament and develop a strategy together.

*Note: What happens if your partner fails to show up though?

2. Randomized team-ups - Lots will be drawn (or we can use some other randomizing method) on the tournament date to determine the pairings. No restrictions. Time will be allotted for strategic discussion between the newly formed teams.

3. Randomized TIERED team-ups - Same as option 2 except that the 1st/2nd/3rd-placers from all previous PACT tournaments cannot end up as teammates.

All previous placers:
Lord_Leperman (PACT 1,2,3)
NiX (PACT 1,2,3)
Twin-Skies (PACT 1)
Maitreya (PACT 2)
Sforza (PACT 3,4*)
Ethermaster (PACT 4)
Moonlight_Raven (PACT4)
*atdsutm (PACT 4)

If you can think of a better tiering system, please suggest it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Predetermined teams would have been awesome. But still, I voted for option 3 since it's obviously the most balanced choice.

Poll's set to end on July 30. 10 votes should probably be enough to consider the result valid.
What about a 4th option, Pre-determined tiered setups? Meaning those who were placers cannot pair up with another placer but have the option of pairing up with anyone else. I'm just concerned that pairs of people are better off pairing up with people they know because it is likely that they'd be living in close proximity to each other, or at least are familiar with each other's style of play. This also partially guarantees both participant's attendance on the day, lessening the likelihood of one of the two being absent. So I'm opting for the 1st option at the moment.
vote for 3: randomized tiered pair ups.

atdsutm's vote: 3rd choice
I don't really like Rick's suggestion but I added it anyway. I don't like it because I can already imagine several potential contestants with no one within reasonable proximity to practice with (Me, Tim; Dave, Alvin, except maybe if Warren comes out of retirement; Rick, Jake; Adrian; etc).

And most of all, random pairings is a lot easier to implement come tournament day. I hate to imagine what we'd do with someone whose partner fails to show up. Even if we can shoehorn such a person into the tournament, he'll have the disadvantage of partnering with someone he didn't practice with. Now if it's randomized, at least it's more fair cuz everyone has that handicap.

If anyone wants to change their vote, just indicate it in a post.
What's the diff between options 2 and 4?
"Numbers are not part of the real world; they're part of something else."

-Prof. Rolly Panopio, UPLB Math Division
Just a mess-up when I added option 4. Tongue

There, I fixed it!
Cast my vote.

It's a clear choice.. Though I think I'll just be spectating fur die lulz.
I voted for plain, randomized pairings. It's simple and fast to go with.
Fully random nalang. I voted for that. Para wala nang pahirapan.
I'm for fully randomized. So no more thinking. LOL
"Numbers are not part of the real world; they're part of something else."

-Prof. Rolly Panopio, UPLB Math Division
Didn't know guests could vote. There's one guest vote for Randomized pairings. Do we count that?

Well either way, we've reached 10 votes, so whatever result by the time the poll closes will be valid.
kompyang na lng

maalis alis!!!!
Ahaha kompyang. GG. LOL
Never fails to post useless shit and nonsense.......
Option 3.
'Signatures are overrated.'