Current time: 03-28-2024, 06:55 PM
An Unkindness of Ravens
We're a dying breed unless Froamsotf redeems itself by probably making a next-gen Armored Core game. :p

Now that I think of it, should we put links here for the other AC fansites?
(10-14-2009, 12:47 AM)Goat Wrote: Now that I think of it, should we put links here for the other AC fansites?

It's in my list of to-dos. Smile
Editorial Doom and Gloom!
[Image: ACEX.jpg]
Quote:...UNBEARABLE......

W/ depressing soundtrack to match:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qX7kVjsfUwE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qX7kVjsfUwE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Jon... what? Sad raven though Sad

Good art though, and maybe we can use that with your permission in a maybe controversial future article? Tongue
(10-14-2009, 12:47 AM)Goat Wrote: We're a dying breed unless Fromsoft redeems itself by probably making a next-gen Armored Core game. :p

Ravens are a dying breed. Lynxes are getting more prolific. Vomit
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
I read that ACG thread before. Pero wow buhay pa pala si EJ hahah. Looks like he plans to do something similar to us.

EDIT: Looks like they're falling apart though.
(10-14-2009, 09:27 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: and maybe we can use that with your permission in a maybe controversial future article? Tongue

Sure. But you might want to wait for a more refined and less exaggerated version.

(10-14-2009, 11:04 AM)NiX Wrote: Looks like he plans to do something similar to us.

Pansin ko halos walang interesadong mag improve sa front page nila.
Well that's the major difference.

You wanna help out, JE? Maybe feature your stuff in front? (or you don't want that kind of attention? We can respect that too.)
Nah... just the drawing when that controversial thing gets written.
I've experienced PS1,2 and 3 versions of AC. I don't really discriminate between Lynxes and Ravens.
[Image: Method.gif][Image: oblivionef3.gif]
Well this one isn't really about who plays what, if that's the message you got.

Point is that the AC community, as a whole, is an utter mess right now. There's no unifying platform. There's no unifying game.
(10-14-2009, 07:11 PM)NiX Wrote: Point is that the AC community, as a whole, is an utter mess right now. There's no unifying platform. There's no unifying game.

And the thing is, you can't directly force any one game on the community for them to play. So while From Software keeps churning out new and/or rehashed iterations of Armored Core, people will like different things, even though there's a general consensus on what games are "good". And also, I think it's the differences between each game that attract different kinds of players and aid in segmenting the fanbase.

Even though you throw tons of advertising and money behind a game to showcase it to the prospective players, ala AC4, history has shown the fanbase's preferences still play a very strong part, ala ACO (vets like older games, new players like AC4 onwards more).

Here's what I see:

PS1 + PS2 games
Pros: old school AC action
Cons: no legitimate online, connectivity hampered (iLink lag)

PS3/XBox 360 games
Pros: legitimate online mode
Cons: is not the AC we know --- this is actually... OK with me. AC has to evolve sometime

PSP games
Pros: old school AC action, legitimate connectivity, portability
Cons: controls hampered

What's frustrating is despite over 13+ games, From definitely knows what their market wants. But they never give it.
Also the original fanbase are getting older and most have moved on to other interests. Most have little time to play and participate in community activities anymore.
(10-14-2009, 07:11 PM)NiX Wrote: Well this one isn't really about who plays what, if that's the message you got.

Point is that the AC community, as a whole, is an utter mess right now. There's no unifying platform. There's no unifying game.

(10-14-2009, 08:22 PM)Grim Wrote: And the thing is, you can't directly force any one game on the community for them to play. So while From Software keeps churning out new and/or rehashed iterations of Armored Core, people will like different things, even though there's a general consensus on what games are "good". And also, I think it's the differences between each game that attract different kinds of players and aid in segmenting the fanbase.

Even though you throw tons of advertising and money behind a game to showcase it to the prospective players, ala AC4, history has shown the fanbase's preferences still play a very strong part, ala ACO (vets like older games, new players like AC4 onwards more).

Here's what I see:

PS1 + PS2 games
Pros: old school AC action
Cons: no legitimate online, connectivity hampered (iLink lag)

PS3/XBox 360 games
Pros: legitimate online mode
Cons: is not the AC we know --- this is actually... OK with me. AC has to evolve sometime

PSP games
Pros: old school AC action, legitimate connectivity, portability
Cons: controls hampered

What's frustrating is despite over 13+ games, From definitely knows what their market wants. But they never give it.

(10-14-2009, 08:39 PM)J.E_Magog Wrote: Also the original fanbase are getting older and most have moved on to other interests. Most have little time to play and participate in community activities anymore.

You guys definitely have some points on what you say. Unless From manages to innovate some of it's features and/or keep some of the old school AC spirit, the number of Ravens will continues to dwindle. But it seems the latter solution is hardly feasible , with From splitting fanbase into three (old school AC and the new AC generation and those who like both). Not that it's all their fault, but I guess it's something to pay after renovating too much of the mechanics.

I'll probably keep on playing AC series even if it "dies" *sob*
[Image: nines.jpg]
I've only played AC up to MoA, and I really liked the way oldschool AC worked. I have to admit, it was a high learning curve for me, but I ended up liking it due to the fact that my friends play it, and I have fun playing against them.

As the next-gen games came out, I gradually lost interest because there are lots of other stuff to enjoy, and I wasn't that much of a purist-- I moved on to other games, because that's what my friends play.

To be honest, AC really has a solid fanbase, made of purists who love the game so much that they're willing to play it even if it isn't in development anymore, or if it's already a forgotten cause. (see above post)

I for one, am sincerely hoping that they port the game to PC. There may be a few bad points about that (piracy, etc.), but I'm pretty sure that it would do the franchise well. That would solve most of their problems in one swift blow, and I'm pretty sure that the combined power of the ever-upgradable PC and the power of the Internet will do them lots of good.

It may be hard, but I personally think that it's one good way to make the franchise rise to its former glory, or even higher.

I sincerely hope for the best for AC and the AC community.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calling all Ravens Deemer 0 3,469 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Deemer
  Why are Ravens so scarce outside Japan? NiX 46 45,479 11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Serene
  Ever wonder the history behind these other ravens? Tadakatsu1Honda 8 10,383 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Zefyr