Current time: 03-28-2024, 11:26 PM
ACV General Discussion
who else agrees with me what Niji was ridiculous?! Id like to see her/him battle online.
(01-25-2012, 04:14 AM)BerserkFury Wrote: who else agrees with me what Niji was ridiculous?! Id like to see her/him battle online.

Was that supposed to be some sort of funny joke or a compliment? Either way, that sounded condescending. Anyway, he's just explaining about the new in-game mechanics regarding AC5, in case you didn't know what the topic on hand was; also participated in ACV's closed beta testing, so he has more info and experience than any of us in the English community as far as I know.

Oh, and be more careful with posting stuff in case you had good intentions to begin with. People are bound to interpret something the wrong way if left too ambiguous, and my apologies in advance in case I wrongly interpreted your post.
(01-24-2012, 04:59 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote:
Quote: Idk what they make these gatling guns out of, but it's some high tech stuff.

I think they're just trying to replicate their real-life counterparts.

Shotguns firing normal 10 to 12-gauge shells shells have a very short range because of the blast power is dissipated over each buckshot.

Rotary cannons, on the other hand, are built from the ground up to punish targets at long range. A GAU-8 cannon, for example, has an effective range of 1.2km; each AP slug from the gun can penetrate 38 mm of armor plating at 1,000 meters.

(01-25-2012, 12:11 AM)Twin-Skies Wrote:
Quote:Rifles are high DPS KE weapons, as well as being lighter. Battle Rifles are high damage (not DPS) CE weapons. A BR will kill a standard MW real fast, whereas a rifle will take much longer. MWs have high KE and low CE defense is why. They're like slower, higher damage rifles that do CE instead basically.

Which actually makes sense in context of IRL weapons.

Assault rifles seem to fire a lower calibre bullet than the BR's; real-life guns generally have less options for specialized ammo the smaller their calibre gets. For example, a typical assault rifle is usually limited to standard jacketed, armor-piercing, or tracer ammunition. Bigger guns such as .50 or 20-mm AT rifles can use these, along with more exotic bullets such as APHE, AP, HE, or even flechettes.

They even got the terminologies right:

Assault Rifles = Fully automatic fire, built for close-to-mid-range combat (Ex. M4A1)
Battle Rifle = Heavy bullets, semi-automatic fire, mid to long-range combat (Ex. Mark 14 Mod 0 EBR)

Sorry about the comments if they're OT - just geeking out over how much research From Software seems to have put into the gun physics Smile

I actually find that info pretty interesting. It means FROM is making an effort to make stuff tie into reality more. That's great. I also had no idea that real life rotary cannons were designed for long range damage. That's a complete surprise to me. Hahahaha.

Neat as hell.

(01-25-2012, 04:41 AM)Goat Wrote:
(01-25-2012, 04:14 AM)BerserkFury Wrote: who else agrees with me what Niji was ridiculous?! Id like to see her/him battle online.

Was that supposed to be some sort of funny joke or a compliment? Either way, that sounded condescending. Anyway, he's just explaining about the new in-game mechanics regarding AC5, in case you didn't know what the topic on hand was; also participated in ACV's closed beta testing, so he has more info and experience than any of us in the English community as far as I know.

Oh, and be more careful with posting stuff in case you had good intentions to begin with. People are bound to interpret something the wrong way if left too ambiguous, and my apologies in advance in case I wrongly interpreted your post.

I think he means he watched me play in the YouTube and JTV videos and wants to see me fight online, haha. I do play pretty much the same online, but the problem is I only use LWs and MWs when I'm on the offensive (invading territory). When I'm on the defensive (guarding territory) I use HWs, tanks, and quads. It's safe to say that watching me play a tank is actually pretty boring I think and I only have one video of me up in multiplayer right now. That video is from Action Bastard's point of view. I'm the red tank flying around in front of him most of the time.

There will be more once I get the full game, though. You'll get to see me blow people up and get blown sooner or later, hahaha.
Fuck terran.
Sex
A painful activity in which a man, using the stiffest and pointiest part of his pelvic region, repeatedly stabs
a female in her crotch until he feels satisfied.

[Image: Niji87.png]
Seems like CE does heat damage like in the old school games. I really hate the heat howitzer since its manual aimed and the bullet drop is insane. Rockets are a lot better now i think.

also a sample of operator gameplay in normal gamer english. So much info in hands lol
There's a trick to using howitzers that's pretty funny and neat. Works if you manage to push the defenders into their base. Point straight up and hold down the fire button. It'll rain high damage howitzer rounds on their head. The other heat howitzers shoot more explosive rounds, too. If you have two you can alternate fire to literally make it rain, even with the low shot demo howitzer. Looks hilarious and can do surprising damage to people that sit in groups near their turrets.

All howitzers, btw, are designed to crack strong defenses. I wouldn't try to use them as a standard weapon.
Fuck terran.
Sex
A painful activity in which a man, using the stiffest and pointiest part of his pelvic region, repeatedly stabs

Quote:That's great. I also had no idea that real life rotary cannons were designed for long range damage.

As far as aircraft weapons go, they're actually relatively short-ranged. Relative, if you compare them to missiles.

Rotary cannons were developed during the advent of the jet age, as pilots found themselves facing ever-decreasing time windows within which to lock on to an enemy fighter to shoot them down. Since they had less time to get a bead on their target, they needed a gun that could put as many bullets as possible with each trigger pull, which led to the development of the 20-mm vulcan in the 60s.

And mind you, the range I was referring to for cannons assumed they're mounted on a stable firing platform, such as a tracked vehicle or an AA emplacement on a ship. Since you're firing it from an AC's arm, which is less stable, expect the range and accuracy to drop. Smile

(01-25-2012, 09:21 AM)Niji Wrote: There's a trick to using howitzers that's pretty funny and neat. Works if you manage to push the defenders into their base. Point straight up and hold down the fire button. It'll rain high damage howitzer rounds on their head. The other heat howitzers shoot more explosive rounds, too. If you have two you can alternate fire to literally make it rain, even with the low shot demo howitzer. Looks hilarious and can do surprising damage to people that sit in groups near their turrets.

All howitzers, btw, are designed to crack strong defenses. I wouldn't try to use them as a standard weapon.

In short, use as an indirect fire support weapon. Any chance of a pure artillery/area saturation AC working, based on your experience?
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
fuck fuck fuck should I buy a ps3 now ><
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

Well, have you had a chance to see the Pauki howitzer cannon? That's exactly what howitzers are for, as far as I can tell. They're just pure area saturation damage. You angle them and fire and just spray damage all over an area. Much like heat rockets too. Here we go. I streamed me using dual howitzer cannons with dual handheld heat howitzers and heat rockets in my shoulders. I tried to keep my movements slower so the stream quality doesn't crap out. Essentially they're all weapons that are area saturation based, though. The heat howitzers in the demo don't fire as many rounds as the ones in the beta did. These fire three, where as beta howitzer fired six I believe. Heat howitzers are very light, while howitzers cannons just do super massive damage. Each round packs 9,000 direct CE damage and 3,000 CE splash damage.

Note that making an AC that's fully dedicated to laying waste to an area isn't too good unless the opponents are dumb enough to clump up around turrets or clump a lot of turrets together. Not that I don't see people clump up anyway. Crazy people.
Fuck terran.
Sex

but would it be worth it when your fighting those armored fort-ish enemies?

Well, due to the extremely high attack power of a howitzer cannon it's very difficult to reduce any of its damage at all. It also shoots three shots at once. So if you were to aim it at a large boss you'd probably hit all three shots from a single cannon for 25,000 - 27,000 AP damage immediately. Then the three shots also have 3,000 explosive power each, so assuming your boss has high defenses he might only take about 1,500 damage from each explosion. This would total to about 4,500 minimum damage with a maximum of 9,000 explosive damage if he happens to be weak against CE damage. So a single howitzer cannon can do roughly 29,500 to about 36,000 AP damage in a single volley to enemy ACs and bosses if the entire volley hits.

Hitting an enemy AC with all three hits is basically impossible unless you ram the gun up their butt, but you can hit with the splash of three shots and a direct hit from one shot. As far as the massive MTs in this game go, I doubt they could dodge it if they tried. They'd likely eat 30,000 AP damage volleys every time. It is possible that some may even have extremely high resists against a specific type and extremely terrible resists against the other two types, in which case the howitzers could be useless against them.
Fuck terran.
Sex

(01-25-2012, 08:45 AM)J.E_Magog Wrote: Seems like CE does heat damage like in the old school games. I really hate the heat howitzer since its manual aimed and the bullet drop is insane. Rockets are a lot better now i think.

also a sample of operator gameplay in normal gamer english. So much info in hands lol

Based on that video, the ideal team setup would be 4 monitors connected to 4 PS3s, and one operator PS3 connected to a projector that all players can see as a map.

Also, the demo provided some interesting things I just discovered today:

There is a way to get OB running infinitely while in scan mode. Such designs I feel make excellent scout units, dropping recon probes at different parts of the map even under heavy fire. Hell they can even drop sentry guns so they can draw a firing line between their opponents and allies, or become one hell of a distraction. Note that it only works on scan mode, meaning you can't fire your weapons or launch anything except for probes.
so I guess as long as the boss themselves are not immune to the damage of howitzers using them for an anti giant MT would be viable..

now next question are the are those overed weapons or something available in the demo as well?

No Overed Weapon. Only a handful of arm, back, and shoulder weapons, plus a few AC parts, which are already on par with AC4's part count. LOL
I just watched the howitzer showcase. Dear sweet god, I'm in love.Wub
"I firmly believe there are three tenets that determine victory in warfare; and they are firepower, firepower, and more firepower."
I just updated the howitzer vid with a new recording of it. I've been working on my video settings all night to try and make them look good for the stream, but it turns out that my Internet connection is just plain terrible for streaming anyway, so I'll be trying to get new Internet over the next few days. Hopefully I can take this 500Kbps upload speed and get it to 2Mbps. Then I could stream quality stuff. With my settings as they are right now the actual stream lags terribly, but it makes for better recordings.

Check out the video and tell me if the quality is alright!
Fuck terran.
Sex

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LRp Discussion J.E_Magog 76 99,971 04-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Last Post: J.E_Magog
  LR: OB Core Discussion NiX 26 29,708 04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Last Post: adiyel
  SLp Discussion J.E_Magog 46 67,917 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Last Post: DaiZengar666
  AC3p Discussion Black Dragon 115 153,508 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Fox
  FA Discussion J.E_Magog 307 341,188 08-25-2009, 11:53 AM