Current time: 03-28-2024, 04:45 PM
The Arena topic
=== AC====

I pose this message for those who doesn't have courage on Ac when they are fighting in mismatch situation...

It depends on a pilots on how they can handle them. They must learn how the Ac capabilities, thier defects in the battle field. In other words they must mastered thier AC first.

A Pilot must learn thier MISTAKES in a battle..
He should analyze in different ares in a battle
i agree with that Big grin also i also think it's good that after analyzing the area,you can think of a way to use the area to your advantage when you think your AC has
no advantage against your opponent,well'atleast that's what i do Big grin
yeah... some people may disagree, but using tactics is part of fighting skill.

using the area to your advantage is one of them.

examples... If given the freedom to choose the map...

if your AC is...

high def, high damage=site S (no place to hide)

low def, high damage=barn arena (peek a boo)

high energy surplus=floating arena (opponent has better chances falling off than you)

vertical missiles=military district (fire behind cover)

an opponent has vertical missiles= low ceiling arenas

an opponent with poor cooling or you are a Tank=lava pit (you burn faster than me)

high ECM defense=cyberspace (ECM's will blind you)

sniper=wide open spaces (keep away range control)

just a few ideas from the top of my head...
Alright, considering that there's already a thread for discussing battle skills and behavior, <a href='http://ravenrepublic.net/index.php?showtopic=302' target='_blank'>here</a>, and another one for improving them, <a href='http://ravenrepublic.net/index.php?showtopic=295' target='_blank'>here</a>, let's just turn this into an arena discussion since that's the general direction the thread is taking, OK? Pros and cons of the specific arenas for specific AC types/playstyles.

BTW, topic moved into Theory and Concept. Big grin
...I wonder if there's an arena that is "neutral", which means there will be no specific AC type/class that can dominate that certain area map [para walang Llamado at Dehado]. Huh

=^.^=
[Image: upeo113pr8.gif]

State-of-the-Art
Functionality
Balance

---
"I am more of a Teacher rather than a Pilot"
guess not.... the most you could hope for is a good balance between space and cover... the board did a good job in selecting the maps available for tournament use. (See allowable maps in PACT1)
The maps allowed in PACT1 were designed to give fair starting points for both participants, hence the semi open maps with a few buildings here and there for the use of cover. It allows for the pilots to show not only their skill in piloting ACs, but also for their tactical knowledge of using terain to their advantage.

Certain maps however, such as the Arena and Site-S, focus too much on skill over some tactical applications of ACs and their pilot's knowledge, hence were not included in PACT1. (That is to change however since there was a huge lack of variety in the maps chosen). The Arena would favor distance controllers as they can easily backpedal, while Site-S favors damage racers as the enclosed space limits the movement of high mobility designs.

Other maps however, were focused more on terain and tactical knowledge rather than skill such as the Laboratory and the Barn Arena where terain becomes a major factor in winning or losing a match. In the Laboratory, those who have the high ground (no pun intended, EPIII) often had the advantage as they can easily rain bullets down on their opponents. The barn arena almost completely negates the concept of distance control as obstacles litter the whole arena under a small enclosed space.
i hope there's an arena edit mode in the future AC games Mellow
<!--QuoteBegin-ravenflau09+Nov 23 2006, 07:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ravenflau09 @ Nov 23 2006, 07:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i hope there's an arena edit mode in the future AC games&nbsp; Mellow [/quote:db72e2f4d1]
Dude, that would rock. I remember I posted something about that a while back in ACO... an arena editor of some kind. I also said something about additional tilesets that could be downloaded if you want different skins for your map.

I guess if there's a huge modding community that's responsible for some of the best maps available for play in games like Counter-Strike, Quake, Unreal and other FPSs, why not for AC? I mean From Software puts out a few good maps here and there (Advanced Base coming to mind lol), but an outside perspective would definitely boost the level of creativity found in maps.

From that, there'd be like the 'serious' maps, and the 'fun' maps. As their name implies, serious maps are like the maps chosen for the first PACT: balanced for both players, and allowed relative freedom in weapon choices without giving too much advantage to one playstyle. Fun maps on the other hand are strictly for goofing around. Now I know fun maps aren't entirely playable, because of the wonky balance present in the game system of LR and AC in general. Unlike first person shooters where skill is oftentimes the only deciding factor (lol I've seen great MP5 users win over Arctic snipers of the same level of skill), AC is heavily tiered, which means that players using better parts will get their combat performance buffed to the max. However, to get back to my point, with a few concessions on what parts to use and what playstyles to avoid (backpedaling, rushing, etc.), fun maps can be... fun. Tongue

Edited the topic title by the way, so it's clearer for everyone.
Off-topic but if they ever make downloadable tilesets, they might as well throw in DOWNLOADABLE PATCHES. Sheesh. That's exactly what AC needs... to fix all these stupid imbalances. Then again, if FROM does that, how'll they make money? LOL
<!--QuoteBegin-NiX+Nov 23 2006, 09:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NiX @ Nov 23 2006, 09:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Off-topic but if they ever make downloadable tilesets, they might as well throw in DOWNLOADABLE PATCHES. Sheesh. That's exactly what AC needs... to fix all these stupid imbalances. Then again, if FROM does that, how'll they make money? LOL [/quote:5fac84ff2a]
Or they could give out the source code of the game for people to mod entirely. Tongue

That's an interesting conundrum you present, my friend... I guess they'll just have to suck it up if they do, haha.
I miss purely open field arenas...
'Signatures are overrated.'
I miss the minefields from the PS1 era. Low visibility plus lots of mines means a single mis-step could give you an instant win/loss even before a single shot is fired.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
i miss the moon area from PS1 Sad
Quote:I miss the minefields from the PS1 era. Low visibility plus lots of mines means a single mis-step could give you an instant win/loss even before a single shot is fired.

The Noob Fields...
Brings back good memories...
Took out Necron there with my first Ultralight...

Then I shifted to the one which looks like Cyber Space...
When I was getting better...

The Garage Arena in MoA was good for most battles, if you want easy wins...
But it's usually the Space Dome for me back then...
It's the only one I can call decent back then...
'Signatures are overrated.'