Current time: 05-02-2024, 08:05 PM
Let’s talk control schemes for a second
Armored Core 6
Hey guys, so I haven’t picked up a controller in many years, but I’ve been noticing all the hype around Armored Core 6, and this seems as good a time as any to see what games I’ve missed in the last few years. So, I just picked up a PlayStation 5, and an 85” Samsung Neo QLED TV, and a DualSense Edge controller. One of the games that I’ve downloaded, of course, is Armored Core 6. 

I realize that the controls are fairly different from what they once were, and apparently, I still have some muscle memory that isn’t serving me well at the moment. I find myself doing dumb things like hitting circle for my left handed weapon, or sometimes triggering my left handed weapon when I mean to ascend, and you get the gist. My brain wants to hit buttons from some sort of mix between AC2 and AC5. 

So the first thing that I’m trying to do before getting far into the game, is trying to figure out which control scheme, or custom control scheme, might work best with older muscle memory. 

So I ask you guys, is anyone using a different control scheme than the default layout?
I'm using standard Type B. Sometimes it's tricky when you need to hold square or triangle for the back weapons. Otherwise it's been comfy enough for me.
When I play controller, here's what works for me:

[Image: M7ZKm93.png]

The rationale is that your thumbs should be on both sticks as much as possible; this allows you to be on top of your movement and camera control at all times, something that's heavily influenced by years of console FPS games, but also translates well to a fast-paced action game like ACVI. Left stick controls movement, including Assault Boost (i.e., sprint), and right stick controls camera and hard lock toggle.

Left and right triggers for hand weapons makes sense to me, as triggers are also the button most often used for firing actions in modern games. Left and right bumpers round out the movement options, and I think it's a good choice for them as Quick Boost is still the thing you'll find yourself doing most often in this game outside of certain builds, so something you can easily tap periodically seems optimal.

Now for the back weapons, I use a controller with 2 back paddles (I wish I could have 4). Those back paddles get mapped as my X and Y buttons - again with the intention of never having to take my thumbs off the sticks except for downtimes. This could work well for you @Chrono because the DS Edge has those paddles anyway.
Grim dateline='[url=tel:1694471551' Wrote: 1694471551[/url]']
When I play controller, here's what works for me:

[Image: M7ZKm93.png]

The rationale is that your thumbs should be on both sticks as much as possible; this allows you to be on top of your movement and camera control at all times, something that's heavily influenced by years of console FPS games, but also translates well to a fast-paced action game like ACVI. Left stick controls movement, including Assault Boost (i.e., sprint), and right stick controls camera and hard lock toggle.

Left and right triggers for hand weapons makes sense to me, as triggers are also the button most often used for firing actions in modern games. Left and right bumpers round out the movement options, and I think it's a good choice for them as Quick Boost is still the thing you'll find yourself doing most often in this game outside of certain builds, so something you can easily tap periodically seems optimal.

Now for the back weapons, I use a controller with 2 back paddles (I wish I could have 4). Those back paddles get mapped as my X and Y buttons - again with the intention of never having to take my thumbs off the sticks except for downtimes. This could work well for you @Chrono because the DS Edge has those paddles anyway.

Hey Grim, been a while. I’m surprised these forums still exist tbh. 

And Nix, keep up the work on YouTube lol. 

It’s been a little disorienting, but I’m starting to get the hang of how to control things in AC6. I suck right now though. All throughout the AC2 and AC3 franchise, I never switched to using joysticks. I remained true to the old-school controls, as long as the game allowed. The clunky controls were a big part of its charm for me. 

For AC6, my brain is getting more tripped up when I claw the controller. I’ve mapped the ascend button to the right paddle, and the sideways boost to the left paddle. The triggers are the arm weapons, and the shoulder buttons are shoulder weapons. I’m just my index fingers for the triggers and bumpers for now.
(09-12-2023, 12:47 PM)Chrono Wrote: For AC6, my brain is getting more tripped up when I claw the controller. I’ve mapped the ascend button to the right paddle, and the sideways boost to the left paddle. The triggers are the arm weapons, and the shoulder buttons are shoulder weapons. I’m just my index fingers for the triggers and bumpers for now.

Welcome back! Based on what you've said here, I'll suggest moving your middle fingers up to trigger duty, and have your index fingers just manage the bumpers. It might take a bit of readjustment, but as you've played the older games on PS, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch. That gives you a bit more reactability with the buttons.

Side note, that's always been interesting to me, how the PS controller shape basically tells you to use two sets of fingers for the L1/L2/R1/R2 buttons, while the "correct" way of holding Xbox controllers is only using the index fingers for both bumpers and triggers.
I'm using the default, I think. I don't remember changing a single button (on PS5).
Penguin Deus dateline='[url=tel:1694571239' Wrote: 1694571239[/url]']
I'm using the default, I think.  I don't remember changing a single button (on PS5).

Hey Penguin, cool seeing that you’re still here. Let’s get some VS in later, once I feel like I can pilot again.

EDIT: Also, I can’t post on the older forum. I can create a post, or a response, and it looks fine in the preview, but it’ll only post the first couple of words that I’ve written.
(09-14-2023, 01:15 AM)Chrono Wrote: Hey Penguin, cool seeing that you’re still here. Let’s get some VS in later, once I feel like I can pilot again.

EDIT: Also, I can’t post on the older forum. I can create a post, or a response, and it looks fine in the preview, but it’ll only post the first couple of words that I’ve written.

Of course!  Down for 3v3, as well!  I love trashing fools with the homies.
This has been working pretty well for me. Most of my layout changes were early on, this pretty much settled halfway through my first NG playthrough. I've seen no need to change it for PVP either.
[Image: UhWt34n.jpg]
I remotely handle a few PH community spaces!

Founding member of Midnight Mashers, please support our Gank channel!
Community manager for Cosmic Gorgons.
Logistics consultant for Tito Steef, you can hire him for retro booth setups!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about color schemes esreveR 1 4,154 11-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Last Post: NiX