Current time: 03-29-2024, 01:18 PM
AC1-LR: controls could be improved?
pitty you cant use the d-pad and another button to cycle weapon asignmeants

normally you cycle between your right arm weapon and back weapons(for use on the primary weapon button)
and the left arm weapon is permenatly asigned to the secondary weapon button

you could use triangle to cycle between primary and secondary weapon assignment then use the d-pad to make the selection for each

in theory you could have both your back weapons firing at the same time (assigned to the 2 weapon buttons) or use your right arm weapon in conjunction with a back weapon much like you currently do with your left arm weapon

or maybe just cycle what weapon is assigned to the secondary weapon button yknow cycle primary fire with the triangle button and cycle secondary fire with the d-pad

I also think you should be allowed to choose your starter weapon you normally start with your right arm weapon at the ready (if you have one equiped) I think there should be some method of choosing to start with any of your weapons at the ready (including having your extensions activated automaticly if thats what you want or even E.O.'s)

think about it with the correct extensions and a couple of missile launchers just imagine the missile swarms

(sorry about the grammer and spelling)

what are your thoughts have any idea's?
curious... not a bad idea, but there would be complications...

being able to fire 2 different back weapons at the same time has always been one of my fantasies but I can think of a few reasons on why they didn't make it so:

-Energy drain in case of two types of Energy-based back weapons:
Some Energy based weapons already drain almost half of your generator, just think of the over-kill it'll do if you were to fire 2 or all four at the same time R & L-Arm weapons included.)

-D-pad configuration & movement:
The D-pad's main use is for movement, in some cases of pilots wanting their configuration that way. Having the ability to scroll weapons using the D-pad would get in the way of evading in case of sudden enemy attack. Not to mention retaliating in time. Not all pilots can be adept at using the joystick configuration.

And about being able to cycle on what Weapon to start with, not a bad idea, but there would be a bit of conflict when t comes to AC assembly. They would have to disregard the hanger option and just conjoin it to become Secondary weapons or spares. Being the first weapon you choose to use on the R & L-Arm as the Primary.

Also, having the choice to activate your extensions would be wasted to some parts;case point to the Hover Extension part. You may be able to choose to activate it directly but you can't choose to make you're AC float at the start of battle. Unless of course, that was automatically considered (still, once again... "energy drain").
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><b><i>"Nan kuru nai sa..."</i></b></span>
I was quite intrigued by the idea of allowing the player to choose between switching the right or left weapons, and also having the choice of starting with the left or right weapon. That essentially ups the value of the left side armaments to that of the right side, which is pretty evident in AC4.

The problem is, the older AC games aren't ambidextrous at all, no matter how many lefty weapons they put in (aside maybe counting backmounts, but those are an entirely different matter already). Lefty weapons are considered as mainly support fire, and left hangers even more of a backup. Even though there are a few notable exceptions like the HP which can hold their own against the righty weapons, and even though lefty ACs had a time of popularity here among us, in the end, it's not entirely smart to provide such controls/features for a generation of games which does not warrant it with the proper stats. It'd also only contribute to the rising amount of bans already in place, as lefty swapping would open up an entirely new dimension of cheap tactics.

Against the original topic, I personally think that the high mark of the series control-wise was when it allowed the use of the two analog sticks. They're just so much more intuitive and fluid. The old controls are just familiar, but they are definitely not user friendly. Not that both can't be learned though.
the whole point is all these things I suggested would be optional you wouldnt have to use all or any of them

I.E. using too many powerfull energy weapons would be a bad setup but like with so many aspects of AC you discover that on your own and try something else

and why not have the option to have a rifle in the left hand and a blade on the right instead of the old way whats so different about it?

well doesnt matter now they let you do these things in AC4
(08-03-2007, 09:00 PM)Grim Wrote: Against the original topic, I personally think that the high mark of the series control-wise was when it allowed the use of the two analog sticks. They're just so much more intuitive and fluid. The old controls are just familiar, but they are definitely not user friendly. Not that both can't be learned though.

I'm starting to seriously doubt my statement on this one. I've been watching a couple of vids lately, and I see they're all using the older, more established control scheme to great effect. Since they don't use the analog sticks to move the lockbox, their horizontal targeting plane is much more stable, which leads to more locks - a great percentage of the movement in-game is horizontal.

I should really switch to the B controls already. Got used to it a bit because of AC3P.
A few improvements I think:
Switch Button [Triangle] [hold] + Left Weapon = Change Weapon [Left Back/Left Arm]
Switch Button [hold] + Right Weapon = Change Weapon [Right Back/Right Arm]
Switch Button [hold] + Extension = Change Weapon [Extension/Inside]
Switch Button [hold] + Boost = Change Boost Type [Hover Mode/Normal Mode/Quickboost Mode]
- Hover - AC Hovers when on water but the recharge becomes slower.
- Normal - The usual hold to boost.
- Quickboost - AC4 quickboost

Then the left and right weapon arms are made to act as seperate weapons but equipped as a pair.

What I'm saying is that they should try to apply AC4 controls to the old games or so. Ok naman kasi yung controls eh, yun nga lang may kulang parin
'Signatures are overrated.'
I think Type B is pretty much the best mech game control you can make on a dual shock 2. Only change I'd make is assign the inside parts function to the Select button.